Okay, let's get started.
Step 1: Get to the Indian Passport Seva website.
Step 2: You'll see something like the image below. From the choices, select, New User? Register Now.
Step 3: Selecting New User, will generate a registration form shown below.
- Register to apply at: There are 2 radio buttons CPV Delhi and Passport Office. Choose Passport office; unless you are applying for a diplomatic or a refugee passport.
- Passport Office: Click here to know the Passport Office as per your present residential address. Choose the right city from the drop down list.
- Given Name: Fill in your name.
- Surname: For South Indians who use initials, this is essentially an expansion of your initials. For instance, if your name is A(Arakonam).P(Prabakar). Selvam, Selvam is your given name and Arakonam Prabakar is your surname. If it's just P. Selvam, then Prabakar is your surname.
- Date of Birth: Select the date from the the tiny calendar to the right. This can be a wee bit tricky if you don't follow a specific order. So, first select the year, then the month and finally the date and you'll have no problems.
- Email Id: Enter your email id.
- User Id: It's less of a headache to use your email id as your user id as well. But if you prefer a different one, go ahead and create one.
- Password: Create a password. Follow the password policy. Ideally, it should be composed of alphanumeric characters.
- Hint Question: Choose a question from the drop down list.
- Hint answer: Type in an answer to the selected question and make a note of it.
- Captcha: Enter the text from the image in the box provided.
- Click on Register.
- You will get an e-mail with a link. Use this link to activate your account. You are now ready for the next step filling out the online application form.